The Institut Curie is a major player in cancer research. It consists of a hospital and a Research Center with more than 1000 employees and a strong international representation. The objective of the Institut Curie Research Center is to develop fundamental research and to use the knowledge produced to improve the diagnosis, prognosis and treatment of cancers as part of the continuum between fundamental research and innovation in the service of patients.
The Institut Curie's "Genetics and Developmental Biology" research unit (UMR 3215/U934), directed by Pierre Léopold, is composed of nine teams addressing fundamental questions related to the development of organisms and its pathological disorders. Within this unit, three teams use the Drosophila (fruit fly) model to understand the mechanisms of growth, morphogenesis and homeostasis of stem cells.
The candidate is in charge of the operation of a Drosophila animal facility, including the maintenance and control of the breeding of Drosophila (vinegar fly) strains.
- Placed under the responsibility of a researcher, he/she will :
- Ensure the maintenance of Drosophila strains (transferring of lines to new food tubes).
- Ensure the realization of the nutritive food of breeding (use of an industrial food kettle).
- Maintain a database of the status of Drosophila strainsTo manage the orders of the lines. To place orders for the production of media and rearing material (supply, storage, distribution)To follow a schedule (transfering of lines, production of food)
- Clean, tidy and control the equipment and premises used.
- Manage the evacuation of non-hazardous waste according to their category and risks, in compliance with the unit's health and safety rules.
- Report any observed malfunctions or anomalies
- To set up a platform for the injection of Drosophila embryos in order to develop a transgenesis service within the Unit
Training and experience
- Preferably a high-school degree or higher corresponding to the rank of laboratory technician.
- Knowledge of English and experience as a Drosophila animal handler are pluses.
Required skills and qualities
- Basic knowledge of biology and genetics.
- Ability to work in a team and communicate within the department
- Basic computer skills necessary to use the Internet and basic use of spreadsheet (Excel) for lineage data
- Know how to use equipment such as precision scales, autoclaves, industrial kettles, etc.
- Make simple mathematical calculations (dilution, rule of three...)
- Know the storage conditions of the products handled.
- Know and apply the safety rules related to the products and equipment used.
All our opportunities are open to people with disabilities.
- Type of contract: Fixed-term contract with the possibility of a permanent contract.
- Duration of the contract : 18 months
- Working hours : Full time
- Benefits : Collective catering, 70% of transportation costs, company health insurance
- Localisation : Paris 5e
- Reference : 2022-06-DROBELLAICHE
The remuneration will follow the rules of the Research Center and will depend on the experience of the candidates.
To apply, please send your CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Date of publication of the offer : June 1, 2022
Application deadline: June 31, 2022
Institut Curie is an inclusive, equal opportunity employer and is dedicated to the highest standards of research integrity.