An initial assessment allows the massage therapist to determine treatment goals with the patient, to encourage his/her rehabilitation and independence. The massage therapists at Institut Curie work in all treatment departments (adults and pediatrics), on medical prescription, in the patient’s room, or at a rehabilitation center. The Paris team has four massage therapists on duty from 9:00 am to 5:15 pm, seven days per week.
- To provide adapted rehabilitation treatment to all patients that require it, using the appropriate techniques.
- To provide patients with information and instruction in relation to their pathologies and needs.
- To establish a functional assessment before patients are discharged so as to allow for the best possible follow-up at home.
- To forge connections with rehabilitation practices and refer patients to the appropriate treatment facilities.
- To take part in the institution’s therapeutic education programs, such as Déclic.
- To provide comfort care at all stages of the disease by implementing adapted techniques (massage, lymph drainage, etc.).
- To take part in the initial training of physical therapy students, particularly concerning specific care in oncology.
Booklets available for download.