Institut Curie is now one of the largest leading european cancer research centers
Follow its accreditation from the Organization of European Cancer Institutes (OECI), Institut Curie is now labeled “Comprehensive Cancer Center”.
This label recognizes the institute as a center of cancer expertise centered on multidisciplinarity, translational research and clinic-research interactions.
The OECI (Organisation of European Cancer Institutes) accreditation awarded at a ceremony in Poland on June 22, enables Institut Curie to be labeled Comprehensive Cancer Center for a period of 5 years.
At the heart of the Curie model which lauds the “research - care” continuum, this European accreditation is the fruit of a policy of continuous improvement that is part of the MC21 establishment project. This is the first time in the history of Institut Curie that accreditation covers all the establishment’s units: the Hospital Group, the Research Center and the Head Office.
For this international, cancer-specific accreditation, the quality and importance of the research carried out at Institut Curie, combined with the close attention we pay to our patients, were our greatest assets, underlines Prof. Thierry Philip, president of Institut Curie.
“This accreditation is the fruit of two years of work of all Institut Curie employees and this level of excellence is important recognition of the quality of the work done by teams in the Hospital Group and the Research Center. Once again, the institute’s know-how and specificities have been recognized. It is a collective victory for all our employees”, adds Prof. Pierre Fumoleau, CEO of the Hospital Group and Geneviève Almouzni, Director of the Research Center.
Internationally renowned for the quality of care and the high level of research, Institut Curie is:
- the No. 1 European center for breast cancer care in the number of patients treated
- the No. 1 French center in the fight against cancer in the number of patients treated
- the No. 1 French cancer research center
This certification places Institut Curie at the level of the OECI standards of the NKI (Netherlands Cancer Institute) and the Cancer Research UK Cambridge Institute which are the two leading European cancer centers.
OECI Accreditation Themes
- Management: general management, strategic plans, organization and structure, objectives and follow-up, roadmaps and indicators, progress reports, etc.
- Collaborations and agreements with external partners and universities,
- An INTEGRATED approach to fighting cancer: multi-disciplinary, cross-functional, inter-departmental interaction, clinical/research links
- Patient pathways, quality of care, monitoring care time-frames, traceability and managing complications, continuity of care, supportive care, etc.
- Multi-disciplinary collaborative meeting quality and structure: links with key workers, assessment (progress reports, IPAQSS-HAS RCP, audits, etc.)
- Medicinal care: prescriptions, cancer drug preparation and administration,
- Clinical research, translational research and transfer organization, links with basic research
- Security, risk and quality management (general policy, documentary/archiving system, adverse event management, feedback - feedback committee, assessments - indicators - internal audits - complaint management - satisfaction surveys, action plans, etc.)
- Health awareness-building: patient empowerment/information and inspiring patient responsibility (therapeutic education, etc.)
- Human Resources: job descriptions - responsibilities, skills, training, education
- The establishment’s no-smoking policy
- IT system with data protection and confidentiality measures in place, etc.
 Comprehensive cancer center: An institute dedicated to cancer care and treatment, equipped with a maximum of medical and technical facilities (radiotherapy, imaging, surgery, nuclear medicine, laboratories, hematology, etc.). AND research, both fundamental, translational and clinical, etc.